January 14, 2021
Snapchat permanently suspends Trump, saying it is "in the interest of public safety" after Capitol riots
A week after indefinitely suspending President Donald Trump's Snapchat account, the social network has confirmed it has permanently banned him.
The move is the latest by one of the nation's leading social media platforms that have removed nearly all of the president's online megaphones, which allowed him to directly reach Americans.
On Tuesday, Google's YouTube blocked Trump's official channel from uploading new content for at least a week, citing the potential for violence after the deadly Capitol siege.
Trump has been permanently banned from Twitter and has been blocked from posting to Facebook and Instagram at least through the end of his term.
"In the interest of public safety, and based on his attempts to spread misinformation, hate speech, and incite violence, which are clear violations of our guidelines, we have made the decision to permanently terminate his account," SnapChat said in a statement to U.S. TODAY on Wednesday night.
The company said it had been "assessing what long term action" was in the best interest of its community since the indefinite suspension.
Snapchat said it stopped promoting it in June on its Discover platform, where it curates content. That means Trump's account has been visible only to users who chose to subscribe or search for him since June.
Snap CEO Evan Spiegel outlined the company's earlier decision to not promote Trump's account in a statement in June.
"We will not amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice by giving them free promotion on Discover," Spiegel said. "Racial violence and injustice have no place in our society and we stand together with all who seek peace, love, equality, and justice in America."
(c)2021 U.S. Today
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.