Ford expects $2 bn loss in Q1 as virus shutdowns hit sales

Ford said it expects a loss of about $2 billion in the first quarter as broad economic shutdowns throughout the US and Europe ha
Ford said it expects a loss of about $2 billion in the first quarter as broad economic shutdowns throughout the US and Europe hammer sales

Ford said Friday it expects a loss of about $2 billion in the first quarter as sales tumble following broad economic shutdowns throughout the US and Europe caused by the coronavirus.

Ford disclosed the expected loss in a securities filing. The company is slated to report results on April 28.

The automaker, which has shuttered production in the US and Europe, had said previously it expects revenues during the period of $34 billion, down 15.7 percent from the same timeframe a year ago.

Ford has said it is exploring a "phased" restart of auto plants in consultation with unions, dealers and other stakeholders. The has suspended its dividend and share repurchases.

Shares rose 2.4 percent to $5.05 in mid-morning trading.


Explore further

Ford says US opened criminal probe over vehicle emissions

© 2020 AFP

Citation: Ford expects $2 bn loss in Q1 as virus shutdowns hit sales (2020, April 17) retrieved 24 October 2021 from https://techxplore.com/news/2020-04-ford-bn-loss-q1-virus.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors